Push notifications not coming

Atanu Gupta

26 Apr, 2017 03:11 PM

Hi,

The push notifications seems to be not coming from Airbop. I had created a message and send it. But still waiting for the notification. How long does it take though it's showing as Sent "Success"?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Darryl Hnatiuk on 26 Apr, 2017 03:35 PM

Hi,

As long as you've selected "Now" as the "Send at" option under Schedule when sending the message, the device will normally get it in under a minute depending on the number of devices registered. For a single or a few devices usually around 20 seconds afterward.

This is of course contingent on whether everything was configured correctly, and you've installed and launched the AirBop enabled app on your device. If you're seeing a success message, it is assumed that your IDs are correct from GCM's standpoint. If you've been testing and had some failures, changed IDs etc. you may want to get back to a fresh state by uninstalling all instances of your apps, sending a few messages until you have no registered devices, building your app again on Andromo and installing that built version on your device.

Configuration and testing information can be found in the following article:

http://support.andromo.com/kb/common-questions/airbop-push-message-...

Darryl

2. 2 Posted by Atanu Gupta on 26 Apr, 2017 04:41 PM

Hi,
    Please note the the push message came only once when it was first created. Since then I have not received any though I have tried sending twice. Everytime it show success but in vain.

I have check and found that the push messages are not coming when the app is hosted in Google play store. Do I need to do anything extra?

Regards

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Darryl Hnatiuk on 26 Apr, 2017 05:51 PM

Hi,

If it worked the first time and you haven't made any AirBop related changes then there would be no difference between sending one message and further ones. The app being in Google Play does not make any difference either, as long as that version has AirBop enabled it. A success message indicates that GCM returned a success code that it verified the device and message were valid and would process the message (send it to the device(s).

I just installed your "BSE Trading" app from Google Play and ran it, and it appears to have AirBop enabled in it. Do you see an additional device registration? You can also send a message and I can let you know if I receive it.

As for your device, you could try applying any pending updates and rebooting it. Beyond that, the actual delivery (which they don't guarantee) is handled by GCM via Google Play Services, so it's not possible to diagnose in terms of delivery.

Darryl

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Darryl Hnatiuk on 26 Apr, 2017 05:57 PM

As a tip, you can use the "Dry run" option when sending a message to clear out invalid devices without actually sending a message. You also need to make sure you run the app after installing because that's when the registration/checks take place.

5. 5 Posted by Atanu Gupta on 26 Apr, 2017 05:59 PM

Yes it's showing new device registration... Send a message. Did you got it?

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Darryl Hnatiuk on 26 Apr, 2017 06:03 PM

Yes, I received your message as shown in the attached screenshot.

Darryl

7. 7 Posted by Atanu Gupta on 26 Apr, 2017 06:08 PM

Let me try again. But do I need to do a dry run before sending a message.. Please advise

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Darryl Hnatiuk on 26 Apr, 2017 06:14 PM

No, you generally never need to use "Dry run", however it can be useful for testing and clearing out registrations that are no longer valid. So in the case of your device, you may want to do the following:

• Uninstall your app from your device.
    • Send a couple "Dry run" messages until you see your device registration removed from AirBop.
    • Reinstall your app and run it (which will then re-register your device (with GCM and AirBop)).

Darryl

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Darryl Hnatiuk on 26 Apr, 2017 06:16 PM

Got your second message too by the way.

10. 10 Posted by Atanu Gupta on 26 Apr, 2017 06:17 PM

Thank you....
    Just now I have received the push message. Seems it working... please allow me to try few more... Will get back to you regarding any query. Hope you won't mind. thanks

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Darryl Hnatiuk on 26 Apr, 2017 06:23 PM

Happy to hear you got the message. As another tip (which I forgot about), you can also unregister the app using the "Enable Notifications" preference inside the app (Options Menu > Settings), and renable (re-register) by checking the box again (add a delay in between disabling and enabling though).

Darryl

12. 12 Posted by Atanu Gupta on 27 Apr, 2017 04:43 AM

Hi,
    OK... but I cannot ask my user to do the same.
    Do the messages come only when user is online?
    Another problem is that If I send two messages the last message overwrites the first one and only the latest one is shown. So users are missing messages

Please advise

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by Darryl Hnatiuk on 27 Apr, 2017 12:30 PM

Hi,

When you say "OK... but I cannot ask my user to do the same". I was only mentioning that for your knowledge and as another feature that could be used while testing. It's there simply as a requirement by GCM to offer an opt-out.

Yes, messages are only delivered immediately to active devices. If a device was turned off, it would be delivered when the user turns on their device.

By default GCM states that it delivers every message (no overwrite occurs), however it doesn't guarantee order. That default behavior can be changed using the "Enable 'Time to Live' and 'Collapse Key'' settings (but it doesn't sound like you want that).

http://support.airbop.com/kb/dashboard/sending-a-new-message

In the "Commonly used message options" section:
    https://developers.google.com/cloud-messaging/concept-options

Darryl

14. Colin Adams closed this discussion on 23 Jul, 2017 05:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

21 Aug, 2017 05:52 PM
21 Aug, 2017 01:46 PM
18 Aug, 2017 12:50 PM